I guess it depends on how you define 'standard'; lots of folks used the
24pin ROMs, including the IBM PC (that's enough to make it a 'standard',
just like the DE-9 RS-232 connector ;-) ), Tektronix, etc., and at least 3
manufacturers made compatible EPROMs; I'd wager that most of the 64Kb ROMs *of
the day* were in fact 24 pin versions; presumably they were cheaper since
cost was related to pin count and package size. Can you find a 28pin 64Kb
ROM that was used in the same era?

I just wanted to point out that the meaning of the pins themselves was
programmable in some ROMs, not just the contents; that will bite you if you
work on some PETs or disk drives, for example. That doesn't really make
them any less 'standard' than different contents would.

As they say, the great thing about 'standards' is that there are so many of
them...

Hard to say today why the M100 etc. used the pinout they did, although the
early M100s did use the same pinout for the system ROM; maybe it was a
'standard' that didn't catch on, maybe just availability or cost, or even a
form of copy protection. In any case it doesn't seem to have slowed down
production of option ROMs; there were certainly enough different ones out
there.