When you attempt to load the program/document with the commands:

SOUND ON
CLOAD "whatever the file name is"

Does the tape player turn on and do you shortly hear screeching sounds from
the M100?

You mentioned that you can hear the sounds during playback but it wasn't
clear if that was from the tape deck speaker or the M100 speaker.

If you dont hear anything from the M100 you may have a fault in the
cassette input circuit.

Jerry