Jake!

Wow, very cool to hear from you and catch up. We had theorized about you
and I think someone hit up FB at one point noting that you had discovered
motorcycles, cars and women. For the record I always enjoyed seeing you on
the list. Mostly because I could identify with your situation. Back around
the time the M100 was actively used (1987) I was 12 years old and
discovered BBSes. There weren't many young people on them in those days and
I annoyed the crap of out a lot of people but also made some good friends.
(Tiny bit weirded out that guys my age hung out with 12-13yr old kid now..
But hey, different times.)  Also, I never owned a M100 back then, couldn't
afford it. I bought my first one off eBay when I was about the age you are
now just because it was something I always wanted and never got. Now I
carry it with me almost every day.

Speaking of, check out the list and what you missed over the last 7 years!
It's incredible. I often wish that Rick Hanson was still around because we
have finally realized all of the things he wanted out of his M100, where he
could sit in his truck and punch out work orders, wirelessly transmit them
to his home PC or the cloud. With the proliferation of hobby
microcontrollers and some pretty awesome collaborative development
environments, easy PCB manufacturing and sharing things have really taken
off.

In regards to your keyboard woes, I don't know of any physical difference
in the switches used for the keys from 1983 to 1984. The boards did have
different revisions, but I think they mechanical keys stayed the same. I do
know they are subject to breaking down over time from either lack of use or
from having things stacked on them and being compressed for a while. May
want to look at the switches themselves for why it's mushy. Not much to the
KB and the switches tend to be pretty robust so I'd def take a look at the
traces on the one with the bad keys.

Keep plugging on the job front, you aren't wrong that cars and computers
are the same but the real value comes from having a troubleshooting mind.
That's a rare talent and if you've got one it's easy to find jobs where
people pay you for what you know instead of what you do.

Brian