Hi all,

A NEC PC-8201A I picked up just arrived, and I have a few questions,
particularly on the internal battery.

It arrived and didn't boot with fresh alkaline batteries, so I opened it
up.  The internal NiCd battery was starting to corrode so I removed it
(lucky I caught it now before there was a disaster). Everything else
looked perfect internally so I closed it back up and tried booting it
again, and it worked perfectly!  It's obviously not an issue but I was
just wondering if anyone had that happen---it's strange to me that a
dead battery being present doesn't boot at all while no battery at all
works fine.

On replacing the internal battery, according to this email[a] from
November both ArcadeShopper and Soigeneris had replacement batteries,
however looking now neither of them have any in stock.  Does anyone know
if they're going to get any more in?  I don't mind waiting if it'll just
be a while but if they aren't planning on ever getting them back I'll
look around elsewhere for one.

For alternatives, since the internal battery seems to be recharged from
the main battery pack I assume a regular CR2032 would be a no-go, but
has anyone tried out soldering in a socket + LIR2032?

~nytpu

[a]:
http://lists.bitchin100.com/private.cgi/m100-bitchin100.com/2021-November/054669.html

--