My solution to this has been to use typical laplink serial cables (built in
gender changer and db25 + db9 options on each end) plus thin hood gender
changers.

The advantage is the durable bits are the more expensive parts... the
cables and the m100 port since they're female.

Pins eventually get bent on the cheap gender changer, throw it away and get
another.

But all the ways work it's just a matter of personal preference. Plus I
don't know if the laplink cables are still available. The ones I like I
stocked up on when they were cheap and available.

-- John.