TL-966, any version. I like both my old TL-866A and newer TL-866II+ because they are supported by the open source "minipro" util. But the maker no longer sells those and you have to get them from ebay or amazon or aliexpress.

The current models T48 and T56 are apparently fine too, you are just limited to using their windows app to run it, which does work in wine so it's actually still usable from linux (this much I do know directly because it's the same for the II+). So depending on what you care about, a CS will be the cheapest if you can find one. It's the same as the A but without an ICSP heater for in-circuit jtag programming of some chips. It is perfect for DIP eproms. The A version adds the icsp header, and the II+ version has new guts inside and is like the A but newer and supports more chips.

You will also need a uv eraser. There's a generic $15 blue platic one you can get anywhere. It's fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255956579505
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363143496160

If you don't care about being able to use the open source software, you can get either of the current models from their official store. The website looks sketchy but autoelectric.cn is the real site and links from there go to their official ebay and aliexpress shops.

You don't really need to get one of the kits with 50 different adapters just for working on these old machines that have all DIP parts. You can always get them later if you decide you need them. A used TL-866CS will be the cheapest since it's both an old model now and lacks the ICSP port so most people want the A or II+ versions. But the age doesn't matter at all. The minipro software supports it and can handle every chip you're likely to encounter in 80's machines, and really you're probably only ever even going to care about exactly one chip, 27C256.