Hi George,

Yes you can configure the way the date is represented by your backpack
sending commands to it when it is in regular serial mode:
It's on page 37 of the User Manual, and here's a summary:

To switch between 24-hour and 12-hour time format:
set time 24
set time ampm

To switch between date formats:
set date mdy