Yeah, the XR4 would certainly expand the options (pun intended) but I never
quite figured out how they selected among the images; I did work out
another solution and started building a 16MB RAM expansion but never
actually finished or tested any of it. Things like REX, the Backpack and
the Dial-a-ROM are a lot easier ;-)

The issue is that when TS-DOS is in (the single) ROM space it would get
clobbered by loading another ROM image there; I'll have to have another
look at it all, including the EME tools, to see how it might work. Am I
missing something?

BTW, I haven't used my REX in years; AFAIR it's the original version with
the System ROM replacement option and I guess there's not much support for
that these days?