Interesting... I could never go that fast without h/w flow control... Linux
wouldn't drop characters, but it would overrun the T's receive buffer
because it didn't react immediately to xoff. I don't know why... my theory
was maybe the driver doesn't see the xoff until it popped out of the
stream. Maybe screen in the middle processes the xoff sooner. All I had in
the loop was getty or equivalent.

Between that and ANSI escapes from xterm and utf8 and whatnot full screen
console stuff was always messed up without HTERM to filter and flow
control.

-- John.