When LCDs with these types of LCD driers first power up they turn on all the
pixels. You will see this even in brand new ‘modern’ dot matrix LCD module  (on
the new LCDs the multiline modules tend to only make the first row black on
power up.) Only after the computer sends a rest command to the LCD drivers they
will clear the screen.

Since you have already confirmed PCR (Power Clock Reset) and the beep test does
not work it would tend to indicate the computer is not booting up properly.
There can be multiple reasons for this.

1.      Bad ROM or broken lines to ROM. This can cause the computer to run
random garbage code, but will sometimes result in it running a halt command
which you can see as the processor will stop.
2.      Bad RAM, specifically the #0 RAM module. This is where the stack gets
set up and if the stack area of RAM is bad it will crash on the first bit of
code that tries to pop anything off the stack (because it gets nonsense back).

I have experienced both problems multiple times. The RAM issue is harder to
find without a diagnostic ROM. I have a M100 test harness and the first things
its diagnostic ROM does is test the RAM. If it finds a RAM module with a large
enough working section for the stack it will continue testing. If not, it stops.

The first M100 I worked on had a bad RAM module #0 which allowed the stack to
be overwritten by writes to other addresses. On a cold boot / hard reset up the
part of the initial start-up sequence is to copy some code from ROM to RAM
(which is a self-modifying bit of code, thus needs to be in RAM.) The copying
of the ROM into RAM overwrote the start and thus the return from the jump to
that memory address went to never-never-land. I found it with an 8-challen
logic analyzer by recording ROM accesses and following along with an annotated
disassembly. It was a very painful and slow process. The diagnostic ROM/test
harness makes this a doddle.

Here is a video I did on the first M100:
https://youtu.be/hbLWk7ir9sI

Jeff Birt