Without some sort of supporting software to compress the data, you would need 7 bits of UPC data per character to simply scan a line directly into the basic prompt. A one page listing in a magazine would be several pages long of barcodes. The barcode on products is just a short number and it is the database that links it to the product and prices.

There were some experiments with using barcode-like formats to enter programs, but the machines and magazines I am aware of either used a proprietary format akin to QRcode and a multi-element sensor or required a special program to unpack the compressed data (tokenized keywords, for example.)