Alexandre,

Thanks for the patch but please open feature requests over at
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=M2E-WTP and attach
patches using the git format (
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Contributor/Contributing_Patches#Git_Format_Patch).
You might also need to signe Eclipse's CLA(
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/Contributing_via_Git) I know
I need to put up some contribution guide somewhere but I'm kinda swamped
right now.

Now the technicalities are out of the way, about the actual solution you
propose :
- first of all, unzip is done only once, unless the source zip changed, in
that case it's unzipped again. so there's no performance overhead here
- performance overhead could occur while scanning the unzipped folder to
determine what's to be published, I grant you that :-)
- now if we serve these unzipped folders directly, we lose
maven-war-plugin's inclusion/exclusion mechanism. It may be a problem for
some.
- I'm aware of some issues with Tomcat's "serve without publishing"
feature, which doesn't support the overlay components for some reason.
- In any case I don't believe naively serving the unzipped folders is the
*proper* solution. I may revisit my opinion but I need to spend more time
investigating the issue (and please attach a proper patch so I can review
the diffs).
The whole overlay support in m2e-wtp is rather experimental. so things
could be handled completely differently in the future. I'm not excluding
anything just yet.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to spend some quality time with
your problem before at least mid-august.

Regards,

Fred Bricon