It's ok to express that some art is boring. Some art sucks. Are you
telling me you've never come across a piece of art that sucks?

What I am observing is a whole lot of ideas in mail art becoming
stale as time and technology move on.

I am seeing social networking via abstract means as a mainstream
activity now.

I am seeing abstract means of trading creative goods as a headline
news story almost every week.

I am seeing poetry ala Rain Rien Lambertism showing up in my spam box
every day.

I am seeing creative and decorative advertisements mailed to my house
in bulk via corporations.

And I'm seeing people posting very mundane details of their eveyday
lives on the web daily.

So for me, art that corresponds with these things is less
interesting - the world I live in is so saturated with these things
already.

--- In ma-network@yahoogroups.com, "kevin thurston"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> the following is a response, like the others, that have not seen
the work in
> question. so, i too will type in generalities.
>
> while i appreciate the candor, i disagree with the assessment. a
collection
> of receipts and other detritus can make for fascinating art, or at
least a
> social record (and there certainly is room in art for the idea of
social
> mapping) that one can view as art.
>
> it seems pretentious to think that a few rubber stamps on an
envelope (grant
> you this is a glib example) somehow trumps a package of receipts.
because in
> both cases the intent (to make something that can be called 'mail
art') is
> there.
>
> be interested in what you will, but to think that what is
interesting to you
> is intrinsically more interesting is a dangerous path to head down.
>
> frankly, i think plenty of mail art is produced by factories in the
third
> world where they give children $0.000000004/hour some glue and, oh
look,
> social detritus and say decorate this and send it--
>
> On 6/18/06, mailart_manekineko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   I'd likely tell him it sucked.
> >
> > "How do you like my reciepts and can labels?"
> >
> > "I think they suck, why do you ask?"
> >
> > Just because it's art doen't mean it's interesting.
> >
> > --manekineko
> > www.mailart.org
> >
> > --- In ma-network@yahoogroups.com <ma-network%40yahoogroups.com>,
Alice
> > Kitselman <dragonfly@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi gang,
> > >
> > > Last month I received a piece of mail art from someone I'd not
> > > heard from before. He sent me a decorated envelope with a bunch
of
> > > daily junk in it. You know like receipts and pages from a
> > calendar,
> > > food labels...... He asked what I thought of his mail art.
Yikes,
> > > thought. Well, to be honest I like to see a little more art in
my
> > > mail art I ventured to say. I sent him back a print of you of my
> > > digital art pieces and decorated the envelope. His response was
> > that
> > > he used to do drawing and perhaps one day he would send me one.
He

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Zo.u8A/lOaOAA/Zx0JAA/fuDrlB/TM