I think in this case it's because the sender invited judgement by
asking what the reciever thought of his work.

I always understood "no judge / no jury" to mean that all works would
be included in the resulting show / documentation (unlike non mail
art shows where subjective ideas like we're discussing are part of a
selection process).

So for me it seems like a stretch to attatch a taboo that deals with
whether or not a person enjoyed an individual work - especially when
asked directly.

--- In ma-network@yahoogroups.com, "kevin thurston"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i've seen art that i thought was in no way interesting or engaging
to me.
> but, in each case, there must be at least 1 that does find a work
> interesting or engaging and if mail-art is supposedly the bastion
of no
> judge/no jury it is hard to understand why this thread is even
occuring
> here.
>
> On 6/19/06, mailart_manekineko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   It's ok to express that some art is boring. Some art sucks. Are
you
> > telling me you've never come across a piece of art that sucks?
> >
> > What I am observing is a whole lot of ideas in mail art becoming
> > stale as time and technology move on.
> >
> > I am seeing social networking via abstract means as a mainstream
> > activity now.
> >
> > I am seeing abstract means of trading creative goods as a headline
> > news story almost every week.
> >
> > I am seeing poetry ala Rain Rien Lambertism showing up in my spam
box
> > every day.
> >
> > I am seeing creative and decorative advertisements mailed to my
house
> > in bulk via corporations.
> >
> > And I'm seeing people posting very mundane details of their
eveyday
> > lives on the web daily.
> >
> > So for me, art that corresponds with these things is less
> > interesting - the world I live in is so saturated with these
things
> > already.
> >
> > --- In ma-network@yahoogroups.com <ma-network%
40yahoogroups.com>, "kevin
> > thurston"
> > <kevin.thurston@> wrote:
> > >
> > > the following is a response, like the others, that have not seen
> > the work in
> > > question. so, i too will type in generalities.
> > >
> > > while i appreciate the candor, i disagree with the assessment. a
> > collection
> > > of receipts and other detritus can make for fascinating art, or
at
> > least a
> > > social record (and there certainly is room in art for the idea
of
> > social
> > > mapping) that one can view as art.
> > >
> > > it seems pretentious to think that a few rubber stamps on an
> > envelope (grant
> > > you this is a glib example) somehow trumps a package of
receipts.
> > because in
> > > both cases the intent (to make something that can be
called 'mail
> > art') is
> > > there.
> > >
> > > be interested in what you will, but to think that what is
> > interesting to you
> > > is intrinsically more interesting is a dangerous path to head
down.

> > > frankly, i think plenty of mail art is produced by factories in
the
> > third
> > > world where they give children $0.000000004/hour some glue and,
oh
> > look,
> > > social detritus and say decorate this and send it--

40yahoogroups.com><ma-network%40yahoogroups.com>,
> > Alice

> > of
> > Yikes,
> > my