Hello everybody

Why, oh why, does this always have to happen to us! On Monday of this week, I
ordered us a new mac Mini server machine, in order to replace the old PowerPC
which has been running since 2005 24/7 but which fell victim to the ravages of
time late last week and failed. The new machine arrived on Tuesday afternoon. I
just looked on the Apple website and, low and behold, the machine has been
updated since Monday. The Mac Mini is now an Intel® I5 Core duo processor,
whereas ours is a Core2 Duo. OK, it's 2.0 GHZ instead of 2.66 as ours is. But
it's £50.00 cheaper, and comes with Lion Server.

I just don't get it; why on earth can't Apple tell you they are about to update
something you've ordered and give you the opportunity to wait for the updated
version? I am now probably going to have to install the software back to
factory defaults, pack the machine up and arrange an RMA because I don't think
it's right that we should be penalised like that; they should have told us.

We think there's a way we can upgrade for free to Lion Server; but the hardware
changes and the price difference are the issues here. Just out of interest,
does anybody happen to know what is the difference between the Core2 Duo and
the I5? Gordon thinks the I5 has a larger L2 cash, but that's not really a
problem. What I want to know is whether we'd notice any difference in
functionality. Obviously the price is another issue as I said, but why is it
cheaper? At this point I am very disappointed with Apple's marketing. They
should have done the right thing by us instead of just blatantly ignoring the
fact that they were about to update the hardware. This is one reason why I hate
Apple's policy of secrecy. This is taking secrecy too far!

Lynne

You can find a monthly formatted archive of all messages posted    to the
Mac-Access forum at the following URL: