Hi Dónal,

Yes, you can use your MBP and create a wireless network between your Mac
computer and iPad that will let the iPad (and other computers) share your
internet connection.  I had to travel just after getting my iPod Touch, two
years ago, and because I had a copy of my "Take Control of Your 802.11n AirPort
Network" guide with me, I just looked up the instructions in the Appendix. I
haven't check this out under Lion, but I can point you to a TUAW article I
found that described the steps if you don't have your Take Control guide with
you:
• "Mac 101: Create a wireless network between Mac and iPhone" by Josh Carr, on
Sep 25th 2009
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/25/mac-101-create-a-wireless-network-between-mac-and-iphone/

I'll paste in the main details. The last paragraph in the article describes the
first action you need to take to share your network connection via airport,
which is to go to System Preferences > Sharing and check the box for "Internet
Sharing" in the table on the Sharing pane.  You'll specify "Share connection
from Ethernet" "To computers using Airport".  Then continue with excerpted bits
from the main post listed below.  By the way, the Appendix of the Take Control
Guide gives the best explanation I've seen of all this, so if you have it with
you, that would be my preferred reading source, but the above article (relevant
bits of which are excerpted below), should get you going.
<beg quote>
Click the AirPort icon in the menu bar and select "Create Network."
Name your network. In heavily populated areas, making the name unique would be
a great idea. For this demo's purposes, I just named it "Josh's Laptop."
You have the choice to require a password. In all of my use, I've found that
iPhone-to-Mac connections remain more stable if I require a password and select
40-bit WEP. Again, I'd suggest a wireless password in high-traffic areas like
airports.
Click "OK" and it will create the network. That's it for the computer side.
With your iPhone or iPod touch, open the settings app and tap "Wi-Fi." You
should see the network you just created on your Mac. Tap it and allow it a
moment to connect. I have never seen the "3G" go away next to the carrier logo
when connected this way... so don't worry about waiting for the AirPort icon
appear. Every app I've tested still recognizes that they're on the same
network. Open an application and test.

For those of you who are wondering about distance, I have remained connected to
the Laptop at well over 100 feet away. I did notice that everything is a little
more stable within 100 feet. You are, after all, broadcasting a wireless signal
with a device that's real purpose is to receive signal.
<end quote>

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther