Hi Kevin,

To add to the summary Travis gave, you might want to check out Skim.  Skim is
an open source program that has been described as "Preview on steroids".
Here's the description on Macupdate:
<begin quote>
Skim is a PDF reader and note-taker for OS X. It is designed to help you read
and annotate scientific papers in PDF, but is also great for viewing any PDF
file.

Features:

Viewing PDFs
Adding and editing notes
Highlighting important text, including one-swipe highlight modes
Making "snapshots" for easy reference
Navigation using table of contents or thumbnails, with visual history
View all your notes and highlights
Convenient reading in full screen
Giving powerful presentations, with built-in transitions
Handy preview of internal links
Focus using a reading bar
Magnification tool
Smart cropping tools
Extensive AppleScript support
Bookmarks
Saving passwords in Keychain
Export notes as text
Automatic download of remote PDFs
Support for Apple Remote Control
Interaction with LaTeX, SyncTeX, and PDFSync
Integration with BibDesk and other third party applications
Spotlight support
Highly customizable
And much more...
<end quote>

In practice, useful features of this app that have been discussed on this list
at earlier times include: (1) using it to present PDF format version of
PowerPoint or Keynote presentations -- you can set the View options to
"Presentation" either from the Menu bar or via shortcut (Command-Option-p), and
you can set up the transition options, again from the Menu bar Presentation
Options or via shortcut (Command-Option-t) and (2) using it to make
annotations, that can be separately printed out.  The most complete description
of its operation was in a discussion on this list before archiving was set up.
However, I excerpted that post in a reply to Dónal about Skim on the
Macvisionaries list, so its possible to find that old post's contents in the
Mail Archive.  It's feature rich, so that you may not need all the
functionality (for example, manipulating images includes some options that are
only usable with vision), and it is similar to Preview in layout, but adds a
second side-bar for the annotation features.  Item 1) is useful for some
conferences where they request that the presentation be exported into PDF
format, which gets out of the problems caused by possible font incompatibility
in the various versions of PowerPoint, or in Keynote.  Also, in earlier
versions of Skim, I would find some functions (such as using "Find" to search)
more stable for VoiceOver than in Preview.

There is also Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat Professional which can be used
with PDFs -- but these are really clunky to use with VoiceOver, so you'd only
do this if you had a protected PDF file that could not be read in any other
way.

Then, as you mention, there is Adobe Digital Editions Preview that will read
ePubs and PDFs with ADE DRM protection on your Desktop, but currently only in
English.  And there is OverDrive on iOS devices.  These both require you to
authorize your device or computer with Adobe.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther