Hi Matthew,

If they activate the iPhone at the Apple Store for you, then the iPhone 4s
doesn't automatically speak when you triple click the Home button.  I was with
a friend who was getting a new iPhone 4s (his first iOS device, although he
recently got a MacBook Air as his first Apple computer), and they set it up by
transferring his old phone number to the device.  If you do that, VoiceOver
won't automatically come up when you triple click Home, since I tried it.  I
know that's not quite what you're asking, but thought I would give this
information.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther