Now that I think about it, I should slightly modify what I previously wrote.  I
did let the Verizon store transfer my number over from my previous phone, but
did not let them transfer the contacts. I was able to start voiceover myself
after that. I don't think transfering the number causes this to not work as
expected. I think service activation is separate from the rest of iOS setup.
However, you probably have to answer the other setup questions, such as
language, etc before you can transfer contacts. The issue probably occurs
somewhere during this process. I guess the rule of thumb is to only let them
activate your number, but not do anything beyond that.