Thanks to Esther, John, and others for tips on getting iTunes in snow Leopard
to recognize the iPhone.  The final successful resolution was to follow
Esther's directions as written in the Knowledge based Apple article.  this is
the process where iTunes is deleted and several files are also deleted from the
library.  then iTunes is installed again.  Thanks to everyone for the tips and
the successful resolution.

Eric Caron