Hi Eric,
I'm not sure what to suggest other than to be sure you look under all the
settings categories. In particular, there's an option under
General/Accessibility/Voiceover you might have missed. Specifically, it
controls whether notifications are announced on the lock screen. Is this the
behavior you refer to?
Best,
Zack.