I apologize in advance if this should be posted elsewhere. I use iTunes for the other operating system, so the below steps may or may not apply on your mac.
Hello all.
Are you fighting with iTunes because you don't want something in your music library, only to be re-copied during a sync? This is what happened to me. I deleted a Christmas album from my iTunes library for obvious reasons, but it got re-copied when I synced my iPod. Here is the solution I found.
1. In the sources tree, select your iOS device.
2. Make sure the summary radio button is selected.
3. Check the manually manage music and videos check box.
4. Click apply.
5. Now expand the tree for your iOS device so you can see music, etc. Let's take music as an example.
6. Focus to the music list.
7. Delete one or more entries. To delete all, select all with ctrl-a then delete with the delete key.
8. Click remove if you are asked to do so.
9. Magically, some or all of the music on your iOS device has now disappeared!
10. Collaps the tree so you only see your iOS device.
11. Make sure the summary radio button is selected.
12. Uncheck manually manage music and videos.
13. You will be warned that content on your iOS device will be replaced by content in your iTunes library. So make sure you don't have anything you don't want in your iTunes library before proceeding. Click ok to continue.
14. Click apply.
15. Now do a sync to your iOS device.
16. All being well, only the music you want will be on your iOS device!
Hope this tip is of some use.
Chat soon.