Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the additional information.  It sounds as though you get an
additional command sequence to initiate calls and text messages through the web
interface of My Phone Desktop.  With Type2Phone you can type in the content of
text messages, and cut and paste content from your Mac clipboard to your iOS
device, but there's no additional controls to initiate phone calls or send the
text messages -- it's basically for typing.  With the other Mac desktop app
that Ed mentioned in his earlier post, iKeyboard, you can use your Mac keyboard
like a paired Bluetooth keyboard if you turn VoiceOver off on your Mac while
you type. That means you can use the regular Bluetooth shortcuts and command
sequences that you'd use with an Apple Wireless Keyboard, for example.  In
addition, there are a few F-keys that get special functions --  like a Home key
and a Spotlight search key similar to the iPad Keyboard Dock with dedicated
keys in the F-key row, since you're not going to use your keybo
 ard to control things like iOS brightness with the low-number F-keys.  I
suspect that if you use a full keyboard with iKeyboard, you also get use of the
numpad keys for numeric data entry.  The support for additional language
keyboards is better with iKeyboard -- Greek, Russian, and more non-European
languages that are not yet fully supported with Type2Phone.  And you can't do
the copy and paste transfer of text from your other Mac apps with iKeyboard,
the way you can with Type2Phone.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther

On Jan 5, 2012, at 12:37, Sarah Alawami wrote:

> You can also call contacts and text as well. I don't think you can do that
> with the type to phone app unless I am mistaken. You can basically control
> you phone and send photos to the phone via the my phone desktop app.
>
> First when  you run the my phone desktop mac client you get asked to install
> java run time. this was a surprise to me.
>
> After installing the java you try and open the app and it stays busy the
> whole time. I tried reopining the app as well. Now mind you I don't have the
> mobile app installed so that might be the culprit.
>
> Take care all.
> On Jan 5, 2012, at 9:11 AM, Esther wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm curious to learn what additional features you have using My Phone
>> Desktop over Type2Phone -- apart from the fact that Type2Phone is a Mac only
>> application that you can buy from the Mac App Store for the same price
>> ($4.99).  When I linked to Dr. Drang's blog article about setting up
>> Type2Phone in my original list post, one of the comments on his article was
>> from someone who used My Phone Desktop for the same purposes (typing text
>> for mail, messages, and anywhere you would normally have to type or use copy
>> and paste to insert text, with the option of copying from your Mac's
>> clipboard -- URLs, selected text, etc.).  The response was that since
>> Type2Phone worked through a Bluetooth connection, you could continue to use
>> your Mac keyboard to type on your iOS device, and copy and paste information
>> from your Mac, even without having an active internet connection for your
>> computer.  My understanding is that by having to use a web interface with My
>> Phone Desktop, you must have y
 our computer on an active internet connection to use it with your iPhone, iPod
Touch, or iPad.  Is this correct?  I'm just trying to understand the pros and
cons of these apps, and the various options we have for using our computer
keyboards for the iOS devices.  If anyone has tried both Type2Phone and My
Phone Desktop it would be great to hear a comparison of features, and what is
best about each.