Hi Eric,

You wrote:

> So am I right that this is not a option on the Mac in iTunes?
> Thanks again!  I'm off to power through some podcast listening.

iTunes can't change the speed of playback, but VLC and QuickTime Player can.
The version of QuickTime Player that was used by default before Snow Leopard,
and which is now called QuickTime Player 7, has an A/V (audio/visual) control
window.  You show or hide it with the shortcut Command-K, and there are sliders
that let you adjust playback speed, along with volume, balance, treble, bass,
pitch, along with video brightness, color, and tint.  This is AppleScriptable,
so what I do is use a pair of AppleScripts to switch between playing a track in
iTunes and Quick Time Player 7.

The first AppleScript pauses iTunes, notes the time into the track where
playing was paused, then starts QuickTime Player 7 playing at that time at a
faster rate of my choosing.  Here it is coded for 2 times speed, pasted in
below:

(*
Play selected track in QuickTime at 2x speed
Source: Mac OS X hints Jan 6, 2006  Play this podcast at 1.5x
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060103000452805
*)
tell application "iTunes"
        try
                pause
                set my_track to location of current track
                set my_seconds to player position
        on error
                set my_track to location of item 1 of selection
                set my_seconds to 0
        end try
end tell

tell application "QuickTime Player 7"
        open my_track
        set my_movie to first document
        set sound volume of my_movie to 256 --set volume to 100%
        set ts to time scale of my_movie
        set current time of my_movie to my_seconds * ts
        set rate of my_movie to 2.0 -- starts playing
        activate
end tell

The second AppleScript handles passing control back to iTunes, and notes the
current playing position from QuickTime Player 7, so that when you go back to
the track in iTunes its bookmarked position will resume from where you left off
in QuickTime Player 7. If you play to the end of a podcast in QuickTime Player
7, the time will be set to the beginning of the podcast when you switch back to
 iTunes, just as though you had played through the podcast in iTunes. One
warning is that you have to keep the track that is playing in iTunes as the
current track, in order to correctly pass back the time with the second
AppleScript.  I don't imagine people will try navigating to different podcasts,
radio streams, etc. in iTunes while listening to the speeded up podcast or
audiobook in QuickTime Player 7, but in principle, they could.  Here's the
pasted in version of the AppleScript to return control to iTunes at normal
playback speed:

tell application "iTunes"
        set my_track to location of current track
end tell

tell application "QuickTime Player 7"
        set my_movie to first document
        set ts to time scale of my_movie
        set my_seconds to (current time of my_movie) / ts
        close my_movie
end tell

tell application "iTunes"
        set player position to my_seconds
        play
end tell

The same AppleScripts can be used in Leopard and Tiger, with the name of the
application in the script set to "QuickTime Player" instead of "QuickTime
Player 7".  If you have Lion, you'll have to download QuickTime Player 7 to use
these AppleScripts. Snow Leopard users will find it on their install DVDs.
Here's the Knowledge Base Article on "Installing QuickTime Player 7 on Mac OS X
v.10.6 or Later" that describes the process and has a download link for Lion:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3678

To set up your speed-up solution in Lion:
1. Get QuickTime Player 7 and install it from:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923
2. Open AppleScript editor from your Utilities folder (in Finder
Command-Shift-U, then type "a p" and Command-Down arrow to launch the
AppleScript editor).
3. Set your AppleScripts to display in the status menu bar in  preferences by
pressing Command-Comma, then navigating to "Show Script menu in menu bar" and
checking this option (VO-Space).  You can check this works by using VO-M-M or
Control-F8 to navigate to the status menu bar.  VoiceOver should say,
"AppleScript", and if you arrow down the menu you'll find "Open Scripts Folder"
and "Open AppleScript Editor", followed by category folders of AppleScripts in
the "/Library/Scripts" folder on your Mac.  This is the "Computer Scripts
Folder" that is one of the submenu options to open under "Open Scripts Folder",
and is also where the VoiceOver scripts for "Time of Day" are stored (under the
VoiceOver category folder at the bottom of the list). Press escape to leave
navigating the menu options and return to your AppleScript preferences and
continue navigating through the options of the General tab. By default, the
"Show Computer scripts" box is checked, which is what gives you ac
 cess to the list of folders from the status menu bar.  You may optionally
select the radio button to show application scripts at "top".  This can
slightly speed up navigation to scripts you add to the menu, by placing them
before the category folders. Command-W to close the preferences window.

4. Copy and paste in the scripts into the AppleScript editor window.  I use
comment lines that start with a left parenthesis followed by a star, and that
end with a star followed by a right parenthesis,  to remind me that the current
speed is set to 2x and give source of this AppleScript's MacOSX hints article,
but you can skip over these in the first script and use VO-down arrow in mail
to navigate to the "tell application "iTunes"" line, then make sure you're at
start of the line with Command-left arrow.  Hold down the Shift key for
selection, then start arrowing down until you get to the end of the script.
You can keep arrowing down until you reach my text description, just to be sure
you've gotten everything, and then up arrow again so that the last highlighted
line is the "end tell" command.  As long as you continue to hold down the Shift
key while pressing Up or Down arrow, you can continue to move forwards and
backwards to refine your selection.  When you've selected
 the whole script, release the Shift key and press Command-C to copy.  Then
Command-Tab to switch back to the AppleScript editor, and paste the script in
with Command-V.  If you want to break this up into steps, you can always copy
and paste your AppleScript selection in to a TextEdit file to review, then
undertake using the AppleScript Editor at a later time.  (I frequently just
save parts of tasks I want to work on in TextEdit files.)

5. To check things are working before I save the AppleScript, I'll first start
a podcast playing in iTunes.  Then I'll switch back to the AppleScript Editor
window with Command-tab and use Command-R  to run the script (rather than just
compiling it with Command-K). If this works as it should, QuickTime Player 7
will be launched, and you'll start hearing the same podcast playing at faster
speed in QuickTime Player 7.  I'll actually paste the first script to speed up
playing into the AppleScript Editor, then open a second window with Command-N,
and paste the second AppleScript to resume iTunes playback before starting my
playback checks.  So after using Command-R to run the first script, and hearing
the podcast play at speed, I'll use Command-accent (where accent is the
leftmost key in the row of number on an English language input keyboard) to
switch to the second AppleScript Editor window, and press Command-R to run it,
and check whether playback transfers back to iTunes at n
 ormal speed.

6. Save your AppleScripts using Command-S under names you select, e.g. "Play
Faster" and "Normal Speed".  I use Command-Shift-G in Finder to navigate to my
account's  Library folder by typing:
~/Library/
into the dialog window and pressing return.  Then I create a folder named
"Scripts".  (This may not be case sensitive, but I use a capital "S").  I save
these scripts to my "User Scripts File" -- the location pointed to under the
AppleScript menu. You can also save these to the general /Library/Scripts
folder of your hard drive, if you have permission to write in that folder.
6a. Incidentally, I found a really quick way to make the Library folder under
my account visible under Lion that does not involve typing a command in
Terminal or getting TinkerTool to configure this.  Go to Doug's AppleScripts
for iTunes web page that describes "Installing AppleScripts under OS X Lion":
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/2011/07/installing-applescripts-under-os-x-lion/
6b. Navigate to the link for "download this AppleScript applet" and download
the file (Option-Return).
6c. Open the "Show Downloads" window in Safari with Command-Option-L and
navigate to the group, interact twice to get to the  "Make Users Library Folder
Visible" downloaded item group items, and navigate (VO-Right arrow) to the
"Show in Finder" button then press (VO-Space).
6d. Command-Down arrow to launch the applet in Finder. Your Library folder is
now visible. (This took a few seconds to do, and much longer to type out
instructions.)

7. You can now use these AppleScripts to speed up and slow down your listening
of podcasts and audiobooks.  Start a podcast, audiobook, or movie track playing
in iTunes, then navigate to the AppleScripts menu and select your "Play Faster"
AppleScript to shift playback to QuickTime Player 7.  Then select  the "Normal
Speed" AppleScript to shift back to iTunes and record your current position
before pausing/stopping.

There are some limitations on this: QuickTime Player can only be used on tracks
without DRM, so Audible audiobooks or books purchased from the iTunes Store
cannot be sped up this way.  Neither can you use this to speed up commercial
movies or TV shows that you purchase, but video clips without DRM will work.
Also, I assume you use the "Get Info" (Command-I) shortcut to change the "Media
Kind" pop up menu setting of your tracks to "Podcast" or "Audiobook" on the
Option tab, and to check the boxes for "Remember playback position" and "Skip
when shuffling".  If I download Eric's podcast about list recorder from its
Dropbox location and add it to my iTunes library, it will go into my Music
library, and will start playing from the beginning of the track, because iTunes
has no way of distinguishing this as a podcast unless you make the changes.

The AppleScripts menu on the status menu bar can be accessed from any app, so
you can navigate to other applications and work while listening to the podcast.
 You can do more complicated setups that involved assigning keyboard shortcuts
or making these AppleScripts into Services with Automator instead. This is just
a very basic way to solve the problem.

If you want to read more about this basis these AppleScripts, check out the Mac
OS X Hints web page from 2006 on "Listen to podcasts at 1.5x speed":
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060103000452805

HTH.  Cheers,