Hi Travis,

You're perfectly correct about being able to control playback speed with
QuickTime Player (and VLC, for that matter), and I used the A/V window access
of QuickTime Player all through Snow Leopard.  However, the reason new users
aren't familiar with this is that the default version of QuickTime Player for
Snow Leopard and Lion doesn't support this interface any more.  The older
version of QuickTime Player is now called "QuickTime Player 7" and can be found
on the Snow Leopard install discs.  However, since Lion doesn't come with
install discs in general, you have to download this if you want it on you
system. You can get a copy of QuickTime Player 7 from:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923
Then just use Command-K to toggle the A/V controls between show and hide, and
navigate to the sliders for controlling playback speed.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther