Hello Lynne,

Yes, you can make it work. It's a firmware limitation, that's correct, but you
can fix it by editing one text file.

The file you need to edit is
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
You may wish to check if you have permissions on it first before editing it.
You probably don't to start with. You can edit the file in Text Edit or even
using Terminal and Nano if you prefer.

You actually need to add one simple thing to a currently existing line.
<string> mbasd=1 </string>
That is what the <string> should look like exactly. Keep in mind you don't need
to add a second one of these, just add mbasd=1 to the line as instructed above.

I've used this fix on all my computers so far. When you save the file, be sure
it's still listed as a plist file. It should be, however, since Text Edit
automatically defaults to plain text. After you're done, go ahead and reboot.

That should be it.

Regards,
Nicolai