Hi Lynne,

You can do this three different ways. I'll outline these below. The first
option seems to automatically assume you want to create a group for that
particular user, despite you'll only be changing the permissions for the Admin
group and not creating a new group that's under your username. I don't seem to
be able to delete it and revert the group options, at least not the way you're
supposed to.

The first option is the way of the Finder. You can go to the file that you wish
to change permissions for, then select "Get Info" from the item's contextual
menu or simply hit Command-I to bring it up. Next, move down to the lock and
unlock it, then enter the password when prompted. This will make it so that you
can actually muck around with permissions in the Privileges table. What you
want to do first is go to the SystemConfiguration folder and bring up the Get
Info box, then follow the steps above to change permissions. When you can
change permissions within the table, move down to the Admin and select "Read
and write." Now, choose the "Actions…" pop up and select "Apply to enclosed
items." When done, just close the window. Of course be sure to revert this when
you're finished editing. You can also do this based on individual files,
however the folder still needs to have the right permissions first. If applying
the read and write permissions to every file inside the folder makes you feel
uneasy, simply complete the steps you did on the folder on the specific files
you want to edit.

I'm not going to recommend doing it as Root, because root should only be used
for serious system maintenance and allows you to access all files unrestricted.
However, you can do it by going under Users and Groups in System Preferences,
then click Join under the network server preferences under Login Options. If
you can't do this, just click the lock and authenticate. next, click the "Open
Directory Utility" button. Proceed to click the lock in the Directory utility,
then authenticate. Go under the Edit menu and select "Enable Root user." Enter
the password you wish to use for the Root user.

You can also do this via Terminal and chmod and using letters (symbolic codes)
or numbers (octal,) but I wouldn't do this if you're not at least somewhat
comfortable using it in the first place.

Regards,
Nicolai