Hi Lynne,

If you bought a 4G+Wi-Fi iPad third generation, then it has built-in GPS and
compass, etc. This is true whether or not you ever activate a data plan. If you
bought a Wi-Fi only iPad, then you don't have GPS.  And I've discovered that
the Sendero LookAround app will work with this iPad, even though it did not
with the first generation iPad.  (The web page claims that the app won't work
with any iPod Touch, and that it is not "iPad optimized".)

Incidentally, I believe that the support of iOS 6 on the iPhone 3GS and not on
the first generation iPad probably has to do with the expanded plans for
interactive textbook use on the iPad.  This is only a guess, but the processor
on the first generation iPad is probably not up to handling extensive
interaction with large format graphics.  This could be the difference between
why the iPhone 3GS might still be supported, but perhaps at a reduced level,
but the first generation iPad not under iOS 6.  I'm not sure that all these
interactive textbook functions can be supported on the smaller screens.  The
main reason for the push in using the iPad in classrooms and for teaching is
that it is capable of this kind of flexible use.  While I may not be a medical
student who has to study anatomical diagrams in their textbooks, I can
understand why textbook publishers are going to embrace the iPad platform.  If
the iPad can accommodate all your textbook requirements, and the iPhone is
 better suited to pure text content, which are you going to develop for?  It's
simpler to provide the texts with accessible image descriptions on the iPad
than to only release a fraction of your books for the iPhone.

Again, just my thoughts and speculation. YMMV.

Cheers,

Esther