Hi Josh,

In a lot of cases, yes. If the developer has the application available to
circumvent the App Store, at least on OS X, you can get it via Mac-Update if
they have it listed. Even if they don't, though, you can also try to Google it.

In the case of Sandboxing, as someone who has worked with it, under iOS
Sandboxing refers to a two-step process which basically takes away most
capabilities for interacting with the system. Then, by use of Entitlements,
developers can restore functionality to parts of iOS the application requires
if needed.

For OS X, this works a bit differently but the concept is the same. The
Sandboxing access Control technology will allow the application in question to
grant the permissions to access other parts of the system, but no more than
what is granted. However, where this differs from iOS is because drag and drop
and Open and Save dialogs can permit transparent access bypassing the
Sandboxing restrictions, in order to use files within other directories, such
as personal data. What's great about his approach, actually, is that the data
the application needs to access is stored within its own container, thus
isolating the damage in case of malicious code. Only files and resources within
the app's sandbox will be affected. Of course, it can limit you because it
won't provide free access to anything unless it is permitted, and this includes
directories unless using two particular classes which I won't go into here.
However, these two classes will not allow the user to use any features bey
 ond what the classes permit. In this case, the Open and Save dialogs.

That's the short version. it gets a lot more complicated, but that'd be too
boring. Some developers pull their apps because it may not be possible to adopt
a particular feature to coexist with App Sandboxing design principals, and some
haven't found an intuitive method to rewrite the feature to take advantage of
it seamlessly.

Regards,
Nicolai