Hi Josh,

You wrote:
> Hi there. A couple questions. Will apps no longer in the app store
> still be available through macupdate.com? Secondly, what are
> sandboxing restrictions? Thanks!

Any apps that you've purchased from the MacApp Store will still be on your
machine, and these will often be available from individual developer sites, and
listed at MacUpdate.com  (The MacUpdate site really just aggregates information
and links to current Mac applications.)

At present you can get apps either independently through individual developers
or by checking the Mac App store.  In many cases, an app can be found either
way.  The advantage of the Mac App store is that it's a one-stop source, and
you can also automatically update to new versions of the applications through a
single interface.  The disadvantages are that you can't access time-limited
trial downloads of apps -- that's because Apple won't let anyone sell an app
from which they remove functionality at a later time without additional
payment.  In some other cases, you can't access additional freeware software
that the developer may refer you to without going to their web site.  An
example here might be DVDRemaster Pro, which allows you to rip DVD's you own to
movie files on disk, or rip just the audio sound tracks to files, or make
copies of DVDs that you own.  To function on dvds with digital rights
management (DRM), you either need to have the free VLC multimedia software (an
 other third party application) or else download the Fairmount software from
the developer's site.   Because the Fairmount  software is not Metakine's own
product, although they can legally point you to it for distribution copies,
they can't bundle it with their DVDRemaster Pro software in the Mac App Store,
and you have to go to their web site to get it.

The issue with sandboxing is when programs can take control of the performance
of other programs.  Restricting this provides extra security, in the event of
malware, or even of unforeseen consequences of programming, and sandboxing
means that programs can only control the local environment of their own
program.  But it can also remove capabilities. Sarah gave one example with
growl notifications.  Here's another, to show this can work both ways.  Many
users like Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro, which lets you record and redirect
your audio streams in many ways, including capturing and recording audio from
specific applications.  Four years ago, after a security update in Leopard (Mac
OS X 10.5), Gordon (the list owner) asked whether anyone had lost the ability
to do secure logins with SSH after the update.  I hadn't, but a quick web
search turned up the answer that the Instant Hijack feature in Audio Hijack Pro
was incorrectly written in a way that made programs like SSH fail
 .  (This had to do with moving the location that a program like SSH starts up
in memory to a different place each time, to make it harder for an attacker to
take control of your system.  Instant Hijack used the protocol, but managed to
hose SSH behavior.)  This kind of dependency is a pain to troubleshoot.
Fortunately, there were so many Audio Hijack users that it became evident that
the problem was tied to that software, and the developer quickly came up with a
fix.

So the tradeoff is between greater safety for the user experience vs. improved
software capabilities when programs can control other programs.  In the case of
TextExpander, you would no longer be able to type predefined custom snippets
that would expand into anything you liked (such as your signature line, or just
an easy way of typing a set of phrases or computer code.  Instead, it would
have to work the way it does on the iPhone, where only applications that
included the free TextExpander API in their code would let you do this.  In
other cases you would have to type, then copy and paste to get the benefit of
this.

Here's a link to another article about the current concerns of developers with
sandboxing:
iClarified article, "Mac App Store Sandbox Leaves Developers Frustrated"
Tuesday, 26th June 2012:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22842

HTH.  Cheers,