Hello Anne,
Yes I understand how to spell phonetically while reading or typing normal text.
My problem is that I cannot always understand what VO says when arrowing down a
list of folder and file names in Finder or sometimes when encountering controls
in Safari (I cannot recreate this at the moment so am not sure of the precise
circumstances). A possible solution to these problems which will work in all
circumstances is to use VO+Shift+C to copy the last spoken phrase to the
clipboard and then paste that to a textedit window and then cursor around to
hear individual words or characters. It would then be nice if I did not have to
paste the clipboard into a textedit window in order to explore it.

FOr file and folder names I can press Enter as if I were going to edit that
name and then cursor over the name to fully understand it. However that does
not work with the difficult web page elements.

Thanks to David for the tip on the VO setting which will speak characters
phonetically if you cursor over it and wait a bit. YOu can find that in the VO
settings under verbosity and announcements.
Best regards....

Paul Hopewell