Hi Lynne,

OS X can reboot about 15 seconds later if you set the option in the Energy
Saver preferences, however this feature seems to be the default under 10.8,
Mountain Lion, and cannot be changed. Kernel panics may cause the fan to whirl
a lot, but it's not going to matter because when your Mac throws a kernel
panic, you can't use it. Under Linux this works slightly differently because it
can also throw what is called a "kernel oops," which means the kernel runs
after killing the offending processes, however this can lead to further
instabilities which may eventually cause a full kernel panic, so this is where
the confusion may arise.

OS X will display a multilingual error message telling you to reboot until your
computer restarts, or it will reboot on its own depending on your preference.

Anyway, I digress. Bottom line is that the option to automatically reboot under
Lion seems to be optional, and not set by default. In this case, you may
experience high fan activity but in either scenario, Mac OS X is unusable
because of the error encountered.

Regards,
Nicolai