Actually, I find that I can sometimes vertically manipulate tables.  It depends
very much on how the web table is constructed.  Where VoiceOver does have a
massive weakness which I reported to Apple a very long time ago, is with sites
that use Ajax.  VoiceOver users struggle on such sites, which is why I
personally believe that the Take Control service we offer is so valuable to our
members.  That site uses Ajax and although I've discussed this several times
with Adam and been promised that they're going to switch to a new website any
day now, months later it still hasn't happened.  Neither, I'm sorry to say, did
Apple bother to acknowledge my bug report, let alone fix it.

Disappointing in some ways, but it's important to keep banging heads together
about accessibility.  Otherwise, we all get nowhere.

I don't agree with the comment below regarding nothing else that can be done.
Accessibility still has some way to go.  yes, many and possibly even most sites
do work well.  But there are some sites which, although visually attractive and
very accessible under other operating systems, just don't behave predictably or
even at all with VoiceOver.

Gordon