Hi Josh

Right, I'm with you now.  No, the two are independent applications although
yes, you can access Disk Utility via the menu structure from within the
recovery tool, just as you can from within the Mac OS X installer utility.
But, if it's too much hassle to go to the Utilities folder to access disk
utility, how about just using the Mac OS X Finder shortcut, "Command+Shift+U",
then hitting "D" which will highlight Disk Utility.  Then just open it by
pressing either Command+O or Command+Down-Arrow.

Like Windows in some respects, there are several ways of doing these things
with Mac OS X.

Gordon

Gordon