Hello Paul,

You might try one of Wondershare's products -- either PDF Converter for Mac or
PDF Converter Pro -- in trial mode.  This is a kind of hokey answer, and I
wouldn't want to purchase the product ($59.99 or $79.99 for Pro) unless they
made some accessibility fixes to their interface.  The conversion seems robust.
 What worked for me was using their trial downloads, which are limited to
converting 5 pages, to convert from PDF to Rich Text Format.  By default the
conversion seems to go to Word (.docx) format, and those seemed to come out as
gibberish for me.  HTML worked, and then I tried the conversion to .rtf, which
is probably what you will want to use.

Get one of the trial downloads of either PDF Converter for Mac or PDF Converter
Pro from:
http://www.wondershare.com/pdf-converter/mac/
If you use the web rotor set to links, and look for "Free trial", you'll get
two sets of matches to the free trial downloads for the standard and pro
versions: the first set are the standard and pro version links at the bottom of
a feature comparison table, and the second set are the summary descriptions for
the products with pricing, "trial" and "buy" links at the bottom of the page,
again for the standard and pro versions.  (The pro version adds OCR capability).

The program starts up with a "Wondershare PDF Converter (Unregistered)" window
with a scroll area that will populate with your selected files. To run the
program use the "File" menu on the menu bar to "Add files" with the Command-L
shortcut.  Your selections get loaded into the scroll area of the Wondershare
PDF Converter (Unregistered) window, and there's an unlabeled button outside
the scroll area that runs the conversion.  However, you can use the shortcuts
from the "Convert" menu of Command-R to run or Command-Shift-R to cancel
instead doing a VO-Space on that unlabeled button to run the program.  For each
file there is an initial "button" that can be pressed to Preview the PDF, and
then for the currently selected file there's a second button you can press to
specify the conversion format and page range.  However, you can bypass this by
pressing Command-F to use the "File Configuration" shortcut from the "File
Menu" to bring up the dialog box with the same information.  This lets you
specify page range (defaults to "all", but you can customize by typing, for
example "1,3,5-8" into the text box), and the format in the pop up menu (e.g.
"Rich Text Format").  The check box for "Apply to all" lets you apply the
format selection to all files you have loaded into the scroll area to date.
Run the program with Command-R.  Files with similar name but .rtf extension
will be placed in the same directory as your selected file.  If you choose
HTML, then the converted file is always named index.html.

This seems to work.  There are paid versions in the Mac App Store, but if you
only need to read your bills, you can just use the trial version, which limits
you to 5 pages per document.  I'll give you the App Store links:
• PDF Converter
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdf-converter/id414200948?mt=12
• PDF Converter Pro
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdf-converter-pro/id422540826?mt=12

Sarah and others, the issue that Paul has hit is that the PDF versions of
tables reads out of order: all the entries from column 1 then all the entries
from column 2.  Try printing a PDF version of a table you can read correctly on
the web.  When you use Preview or Skim the columns are read out of order.
Using the "New TextEdit Window from Selection" service doesn't help: if you
start from the HTML version, the TextEdit window will read the table in correct
order, but if you start from the PDF version, the conversion in the TextEdit
window will read the same way. I tried a few other converters that gave the
same behavior.  That's also why I tried converting to HTML, as well with  this
program.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther