Hi Esther and Geoff

Excellently explained Esther.  Actually further explanation had occurred to me
too after i wrote my original reply, but by that point it was too late as the
message was already in cyberspace. :)

However, I hope that between us, we've managed to give Geoff and others a good
point of reference and guide to start making their own installers without
having to rely on silly little utilities such as Lion Disk Maker which, in my
opinion at least, was written by somebody with way too much time on his hands.
Were it possible to use the UIB utility for a visually impaired user, I am sure
that there are several members of this group who could have equaled or bettered
that utility.  Be that as it may, if some find it of value then fine, live and
let live. :)

Regarding Carbon Copy Cloner, it's worth pointing out that they are currently
running a promotion which they are calling "Get Ready For Mountain Lion".  This
project runs through to August 12, and gives you 25% off the regular price of
Carbon Copy Cloner.  This is one utility which I think worth supporting, as it,
just like Super Duper! could potentially save you hours of work, let alone a
great deal of lost data.  I have, therefore, chosen to support that utility and
I gather that Lynne is planning to update her article regarding system backups
when she gets home.  She's currently away on a weekend-long expedition with a
group of girl guides, (the equivalent of what we call the "Boy Scouts").  But
that's another matter entirely.

Carbon Copy Cloner is, as I've already said, now Mountain Lion compatible, as
is Super Duper!  It pays to have one or both of these utilities ready and
waiting I think.  But also the manual method of creating bootable media which
Esther and I described is something that most Mac users will want to know how
to accomplish.

Gordon