Hello Paul, Sarah, and Others,

The ability to add labels for VoiceOver was a feature that was added to iOS 5.
You can check the AxS Lab link summarizing current iOS VoiceOver Gesture,
Braille, and Keyboard Shortcuts for the equivalent commands to add labels using
a keyboard and Braille:
http://axslab.com/ios-shortcuts
(I don't think I've relabeled anything except by using the two finger double
tap and hold gesture, but the equivalent commands for keyboard and Braille
exist.)

I think that some labels just don't stick when the same buttons come up in
multiple contexts (think this happened in AroundMe, for example).  It's as
though the reference to control loads up with the default label when used, and
as long as it's always used in the same context, your new label continues to
work, but if it's brought up again as part of a general screen refresh, then
the new defaults get loaded.

In general, you can label or relabel anything, so you can replace button icon
labels like "gear" with something more meaningful like "settings", and strip
out extraneous announcements like number prefixes and repeat "buttons".  Again,
while this is a nice feature, it's still worthwhile to get the developer to fix
the labels, because this is only a temporary and individual customization.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther