No don't set it to default system output. Set it to what ever your sound card
is. I had this problem as well.  and you have to high jack the system audio
first I think that's why you did so that works.  Also make sure you did not
mute th emir output. I never set anything to default as I might change and be
screwed.  I'm in a very loud environment to so try and test this again would
cause my ears to ring.

Good luck.