Evening Esther,

Thanks for two things:

1. the nice description of the app;
2. the lovely recipe.

Another question (if I may) is there any difference between the appstore
version and the one available from the developer's own site?

Cheers,

Dónal
On 25 Nov 2012, at 14:32, Esther <mori...@mac-access.net> wrote:

> Hello Dónal,
>
> The real strength of Paprika is using its apps with iOS devices and the
> support for cloud syncing.  If you're talking about desktop or laptop
> computer usage, then MacGourmet is great.  It's a mature package with lots of
> features and a large community of users.  But what I really like about
> Paprika Recipe Manager is the iOS app versions and their interface.  If you
> already have MacGourmet, and want to take the shopping lists for your meals
> with you on your iPhone there's currently no good and reliable iOS app to
> sync this to your device. Read the comments from MacGourmet users about using
> the MacGourmet apps for the iPhone or iPad, the fact that the sync often
> doesn't work, or that the information unexpectedly disappears from their
> iPhone or iPad. Then read the comments for the Paprika iOS apps, and note
> that a number of MacGourmet users have switched to using this app for their
> iPhones or iPads.
>
> On the other hand, say you are just getting started with recipes on the Mac
> or iOS platform, and you have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.  If you get one
> of the Paprika iOS apps for $4.99 list, or $1.99 if you buy it during the
> current sale, you can use the web browser function to look up and pull in
> recipes from many sites into the app on your device, your cloud account will
> support syncing to multiple devices (if you want to coordinate planning and
> shopping with your spouse), and there's an extended keyboard with an extra
> row of keys to make entering your own recipes simpler.  Plus, on the newer
> iOS devices you could use either Siri or the dictation feature on the
> keyboard to enter your recipes.  I've also figured out how to import my text
> recipes into Paprika.   I originally recommended this app to someone who
> wanted an app to use for organizing his own recipes (on the iPhone, not on
> his Mac.)  You could happily just use the iOS apps and the cloud syncing by
> itself, but I think the Mac App is easier to use for importing than using
> iTunes file sharing.  And then you can cook using the recipes on your iPhone,
> iPod Touch, or iPad (suitably protected in a plastic bag, or other such high
> tech accessory).
>
> I think that Mac Gourmet is well worth the separate purchase for your Mac,
> but I really like Paprika for the ability to use it with my iOS devices and
> the reliable cloud sync.  I would read through the Paprika User Guides,
> though, because although controls are well labeled, they have their own
> layout and organization.  For example, to delete recipes you are in the
> selected recipe and use the action button, which also has the options to
> email or print.
>
> Here's an example of a text recipe I successfully imported into Paprika, in a
> file that I named "recipe.yml". It was an old plain text file that I had from
> a scan and OCR, and I just added the keyword syntax for fields like name,
> [...]

Dr. Dónal Fitzpatrick,
School of Computing,
Dublin City University,
Glasnevin,
Dublin 9, Ireland
Tel. +353-(0)1-700-8929
fax: +353-(0)1-700-5442
email: dfitzpat (at) computing.dcu.ie

Email Disclaimer
"This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
intended solely for use by the addressee. Any unauthorised dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message and any attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
and delete the message. Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail may
solely be the views of the author and cannot be relied upon as being those of
Dublin City University. E-mail communications such as this cannot be guaranteed
to be virus-free, timely, secure or error-free and Dublin City University does
not accept liability for any such matters or their consequences. Please
consider the environment before printing this e-mail."