Hello Marcos,

There's only a work-around method at present if you want to read by line, word,
or character in Adobe Digital Editions Preview: if you use VO-Shift-C, you can
copy the read contents of your current page to clip board, and then you can
switch applications with Command-Tab and paste this into a TextEdit window with
Command-V. TextEdit will allow you to read and navigate with VoiceOver by line,
word, or character.

Bryan, I meant to ask whether you can read with the latest version of Kobo
Books on your iPhone.  I think this should work for you if you do a clean
reinstall of the app on your device, if it isn't already working.  At the time
this question came up on list in December, I was still using an iPhone 4, and
because the person who wanted to use my iPhone 4 after I upgraded to an iPhone
5 also wanted to be able to use the old Google Maps, that device was still
running the last version of iOS 5, and the version of the Kobo Books app wasn't
the latest update (i.e., it matched the navigation control layout that Anne had
on her "Kobo by FNAC" app, which was basically the version 5.7 Kobo used in
early October 2012 - not the one the version 5.9 they came out with on December
17, 2012 for the question raised on the forum and at AppleVis.

I've upgraded to an iPhone 5 with the latest iOS version and was drafting an
answer about Kobo accessibility when Anne's answer about this showed up.

So the answer is that you should be able to use Kobo Books on your iPhone.
There is a problem with accessibility in the current version on the iPad,
though.  What's happening is that there is a button control in the top left
corner of the screen that VoiceOver doesn't see. This actually happened before
in one of the earlier versions of the app on the iPhone, but it really only
affected new users who couldn't set up their libraries in list view without
knowing about the control.  If you get someone to tap on that button with
VoiceOver toggled off, and then toggle VO on again and do a two finger flick up
to "read all", you'll hear buttons for "settings","help", and "refresh",
followed by "home", "library", and "reading life".

This is a mess, and I haven't tried to further investigate, but I think that if
you can set this up to get to your "Library" screen it might be usable.  The
"home", "library", and "reading life" are not buttons, but are apparently
labels that are below buttons, just as on the iPhone Kobo home screen.
However, the buttons are not announced or seen by VoiceOve, and they're small.
Unlike the iPhone home screen, flicking to "library" and double tapping does
apparently take you to the library screen of the Kobo app on your iPad.  This
really is messy, and I don't even see a good way to proceed with enough
diagnostics to describe the problem without getting sighted assistance.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther