Hi Desi,

Just to add to Zack's explanation, there's a TextEdit keyboard shortcut,
Command+Shift+T, that lets you switch between rich text format and plain text
format.  It's a toggle action, so if you're using rich text format you'll be
able to change to plain text, and if you're using plain text format you can
change to rich text.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther