To: "Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility" <mac-access@mac-access.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2013 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: Three Questions about IBooks

Hi Chris,

The page numbering in iBooks does not correspond to the numbering of the print edition, but instead depends on the font size and margin settings you employ when reading in iBooks. (You may have access to the physical page number when reading in the Kindle app, if this has been implemented for the eBook version you are reading.). I don't think there's a way to find out the physical page in iBooks, especially since this would be different according to whether you refer to a paperback or hard cover edition of the book. A better way for your Mom to tell you about the section she wanted to share would be to give the chapter (if there is one), and then quote a beginning sentence or part of a passage and let you use the search function to find the passage in question. After all, how many people call up others to describe an exciting passage and expect the other person to have exactly the same edition of the book with the same page numbering?

You can turn off auto-hyphenation in Settings > iBooks by setting the auto-hyphenation switch to "off".

If you don't want to read continuously, why don't you use a three finger flick left to start reading the next page instead of using the page chooser? That will get you the next page (or previous page, if you swipe right) read without reading the title header, since focus is in the page content. When you use the page chooser, you are moving focus outside the page content.

HTH.  Cheers,

You can find an archive of all messages posted to the Mac-Access forum at either the list's own dedicated web archive:

As the Mac Access Dot Net administrators, we do our very best to ensure that the Mac-Access E-Mal list remains malware, spyware, Trojan, virus and worm-free. However, this should in no way replace your own security strategy. We assume neither liability nor responsibility should something unpredictable happen.

Please remember to update your membership preferences periodically by visiting the list website at: