Hi Sarah,

You can find the information about installing Homebrew at their web site:
http://brew.sh/

The default installation is simply to type or paste into the Terminal command
line the following:
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/go)"

Then you press return to have the command take effect.  However, there is a
slight issue that you should be aware of in using Homebrew.  Since it uses the
Terminal command line interface, you need to have the Xcode command line tools
installed for it to work.  Starting with Xcode version 4.3, the command line
tools were no longer installed by default, so you either have to manually
install them (after launching Xcode, use Command-comma to open the preferences,
and select the Downloads button in the toolbar; then in the Components tab,
"Command Line Tools" should be one of the items in the table, and you can use
the "Check and Install Now" button).  I don't remember whether I had to check
this individually, since I did this some time ago in an older version of Xcode.

Alternatively, the Homebrew page says that you only need to install the
"Command Line Tools for Xcode", and gives a link to this package.  I haven't
used this, because this was an option that only became available after I'd done
the command line tool installation.

There is a gotcha with Dónal's recommendation to install the command line tools
for Xcode 4.6.3 (and also to using the line for the command line tools for
Xcode from the Homebrew page): you need to register as a developer in order to
access older versions of Xcode and the command line tools for Xcode.  This is
unless you already have an older version of Xcode or the command line tools on
your system, or in a backup.

Maybe Dónal can supply more information or corrections to what I've said.

Best,

Esther