From: mac-access-boun...@mac-access.net
[mailto:mac-access-boun...@mac-access.net] On Behalf Of Esther
Sent: 03 November 2013 18:17
To: Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility
Subject: Re: EyePal and X11

Hi Josh and David,

For X11 starting with Mountain Lion you have to look for "XQuartz".  This is
Apple's X11, and can be downloaded from:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/

There's an Apple Knowledge base document "About X11 and OS X Mountain Lion"
that explains this split:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5293

If you upgrade from Mountain Lion and use either the Xcode or X11 (meaning
XQuartz) Developer tools, you have to reinstall these in Mavericks. I
mention both these packages, because while most of us do not use third party
applications based on X11, which is more of a visually oriented windows
interface, more of us may install or port applications based on Xcode. The
latest version of Xcode is available from the Mac app store, but this is not
something you need unless you want to work as a developer or to run specific
software that requires Xcode (generally to port applications that were
written for other unix or Linux platforms to the Mac).

You can read the wiki, "Installing Xcode Tools and X11":
https://machelp.ucsd.edu/groups/publichelpwiki/wiki/36ac6/

This has been updated to include Mavericks, but the main modification in
that document is the method of installing the Xcode command line tools from
Terminal under Mavericks.  You don't need to read this web page for
installing X11, since the main information it gives is to summarize that
starting with Mountain Lion X11 has been found in "XQuartz", which is X11
rebranded with the Apple logo, and to give the link to the web page.

There is a reported bug if you are trying to run XQuartz in Mavericks with
the new support for dual monitor option, but I don't think that affects any
list users.  The workaround is to go to System Preferences->Mission Control
and uncheck "Displays have separate spaces".

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther

On Nov 3, 2013, at 2:09 AM, Josh Gregory wrote:

> Good morning, do you have any ideas on how to find this product? I would
be interested. And yes, I do, I initially had to fight to get it through
local funds and such which is what has pissed me off because now I can't use
it.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 3, 2013, at 6:39 AM, "David Griffith" wrote:
>>
>> Changing the subject I see that you are an EyePal user as well, Josh.
>>
>> Are you using Mavericks?
>> #Researching on Google I see that there is supposed to be a version of
X11 which "installs on demand under Maverick".

>> Humanware were useless when I tried to find out whether the Eyepal will
work under Maverick.
>> I got exactly the same response before I upgraded to Mountain Lion. In
the end I had to identify an alternative X11 utility on the web which worked
with EyePal on the Mac but no thanks to Humanware or the Developers who
contributed precisely zilch.

>> I have contacted Sarotech and Computer Room Services to ask if there is
any possibility of the EyePal Camera working with Docuscan in the same as
Kurzweil does on the Windows Platform.
>> Again no response. I suspect that one of us will simply have to take the
plunge and upgrade  to see if  will  work.
>>   I will certainly not recommend that anybody gets a product from abisee
again, and possibly Humanware as the follow up driver support is dreadful
and the software has gene consistently buggy over several versions.

>> David Griffith

worm-free.  However, this should in no way replace your own security
strategy.  We assume neither liability nor responsibility should something
unpredictable happen.

Please remember to update your membership preferences periodically by
visiting the list website at: