Hi Dónal and Josh,

The 2.74 release of XQuartz is the last stable release.  XQuartz is advising
Mavericks users to use 2.7.5 rc3 or later, which is their development release.
You can find that version at:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac

This is the web page that tracks all their latest releases. XQuartz is reported
to work under Mavericks except for users who are running dual monitors under
the new support option that Mavericks has for this.  I said that I didn't think
this would apply to list users, but I forgot that low-vision users might have
multiple monitors connected up to their computers in order to run a really
large display.  (Since we more frequently get feedback from users who try to
run Mac Minis with no display at all, I tend to forget that there might be list
users who use multiple monitors.)

Anyway, the workaround that I gave of setting up System Preferences > Mission
Control to uncheck "Displays have separate spaces" is supposed to put X11 back
into its legacy mode when a specially configured dual monitor mode was not part
of the system.

Josh, X11 is just a protocol for passing standard information about screen and
windows settings across to different platforms, and includes information for
supporting graphical information.  It predates the Mac VoiceOver development,
so the X11 or XWindows system isn't accessible, but is widely used by multiple
platforms. Apple's later Quartz interface has the accessibility information
incorporated, but this is Apple-specific.  When they were working at brining in
Open Office to the Mac platform, there were two parallel efforts: one based on
X11 and one based on Quartz.  X11 has a much larger user base across multiple
operating systems.  It's just not something VoiceOver users come across very
often.

One thing I would really like is a way to command the VoiceOver cursor to move
to an arbitrary screen location built into the operating system, instead of
having to move pixel by pixel using Mouse Keys.  I think that X11 lets that
kind of information be passed along through the XWindow interface.

HTH. Cheers,

Esther