It sounds like you may not have Track Pad commander turned on.
The first thing to try then is to ensure that you have Track pad commander
turned on.
To do this you need to hold the vo keys down and make a rota gesture on the
track pad. That is move your finger and thumb as if you were turning a dial
in a clockwise direction whilst holding control and option.

Now try doing a three finger double tap again.
Hopefully this will restore speech.
You may have to try and do this a few times until you get the  double tap
rhythm right.

As soon you have regained speech I recommend you go straight to Voiceover
Utility and then interact with the Utility table and then go down to
commanders.  Uninteract with the table and navigate to the keyboard
commander tab.
Here you can set up a shortcut key to toggle Voiceover speech on and off.

You select a key,  in my case I used A and then hit the command button. You
then have to cursor through the categories of commands to find the command
to toggle Voiceover speech on and off. It is important that you be clear
about what you are trying to achieve and what you are not trying to achieve
here as there are similar sounding options.
1. You are not trying to mute and unmute sound on the computer.  This is
often  confused with muting speech. I noticed some incorrect advice about
using function keys for this earlier in the thread which will not help you
in this situation.
2.  You are not trying to turn Voiceover on or off.
3. You are however trying to mute and unmute speech. You want to look for
the mute and unmute speech toggle, definitely not mute and unmute sound.

I can go and look for this myself in the command list tomorrow if you cannot
find it but  you should be able to find it if you work through the
categories systematically. Setting this key up does make life a lot easier
for those occasions when the pesky track pad causes these types of problems.
If this ever happens to me now I just press right option  A on my keyboard
and Voiceover speech comes straight back.

David Griffith