I have already put instructions on how to do this on list a few times, most
recently just before Christmas but briefly again.

1. Find an mp3 file in Finder.
2. Bring up file properties with command I.
3. tab into the scroll area until you find the open with  button.
4. Navigate across the open with dialogue until you find the  recommended apps
button. Press this and change this to all apps.
5. Now navigate back to the list of applications, interact and select VLC from
the available apps.
6. Check the box which asks if you want to make this apply to all files like
this.
7. Now navigate down to the change all button and hit this. It is this final
step which makes VLC the default player for mp3 files.
 8. Close the properties windows with command W.

David Griffith/