Hi Paul,

Colin has given you a way to add nicknames to your contacts from your Mac, but
from your example I presume you would prefer to do this from your iPhone.  You
can easily add nicknames to your contacts on the iPhone.  For example,  on your
iPhone,  you can tell Siri, "Open contacts app for Bob".  (You can also do this
by double tapping on the Phone app or and then double tapping on the "Contacts"
tab, or by double tapping on the Contacts app, and typing in "Bob" in the
search text field.).
1. Double tap on one of the two entries for "Bob", flick to the "Edit" button
in the top right corner, and double tap.
2. Do a four-finger tap on the bottom half of the screen to move to the last
entry, which should be "add field".
3. Flick left to the "Insert add field" button and double tap.
4. On the "Add Field" screen, flick right through the name field options
("Prefix", "Phonetic First Name", "Phonetic Last Name", "Middle", and "Suffix")
to "Nickname" and double tap.
5. Enter the nickname you want associated with this contact.  (I assume you can
identify the individual from either the email or phone number information on
his contact page.)
6. Double tap the "Done" button in the top right corner of the Contact Info
screen.

You can now use the nickname in your Contacts entry to have Siri send mail or
text messages, or to phone either individual named "Bob".

HTH,
Esther

Paul Hopewell wrote:

> If I go to the task bar on my iPhone (double press of the home button) I see
> a list of recently called phone contacts. this list includes just the first
> name such as "Bob". Unfortunately I phone two different people called "bob"
> so I am not sure which Bob is which. Is it possible to add nicknames to my
> contacts so that people with the same first name can be distinguished? Note
> that I would not want the nickname to appear in any email I sent to that
> contact

the list's public Mail Archive:

As the Mac Access Dot Net administrators, we always strive to ensure that the
Mac-Access E-Mal list remains malware, spyware, Trojan, virus and worm-free.
However, this should in no way replace your own security strategy.  We assume
neither liability nor responsibility should something unpredictable happen.