Darren wrote:
> M D wrote:

>> playing the Mac port - my 1st 'Duke' experience - which I
>> think sucks royally. Admittedly this was the Mac demo version, and is
>> only MNSHO!
>
> We can fix that Mike. I wouldnt be surprised if they're one in the same.

Most likely. I did have Duke 3D running OK in the Mac port... but do I
have to get a G5 to get some life out of it? The DOS D 3d on my old P166
absolutely 'kicks ass'. Actually, D 3d played on the 100MHz DOS card in
the G3 plays really great, maybe 3 to 4 times more responsive than on
the G3. That's how it 'feels' to me anyhow.

>> So Duke plays on VPC3 and DOS? Cool.
>
> No probs apart from the sound emulation, probably my fault I was in a
> hurry.
>
>> Why the need of voodoo2 when VPC2 emulates an S3 4 Mb card? Or is it the
>> Mac requiring a video card? Will the VPC video speed up, because of the
>> better video? VPC2 is Mac only, IIRC. I would love to have one [voodoo2]
>> for the old PCI beige beast, myself. --- I've got a Win95 drive file but
>> it's purly for testing [some] Win9 apps before allowing them to exist on
>> a "real" Win drive.... it is so painfully slow. If a vid card could
>> improve this I might run an OS newer than WFW 3.11 on it :)
>
> As I understand it VPC will make use of a Voodoo2 breaking the 4mb
> ceiling for vram which I see as the major drawback of pc emulation.
> I'll throw a couple of bucks at it to find out, last local V2 on ebay
> went for $15, I was at work and missed it. Worst case, I have another
> old video card for yet another old mac or pc.

Oh OK. Well in that case it would be well worth the effort in obtaining
this card. I'll keep my eyes open for one too. I get the feeling old PCI
vid cards for Macs are rare, tho'.

Mike.