I am almost sure that my Finder windows used to "remember" what view
mode they were in between restarts (or log-in/outs), but now they
don't.

The first time I double-click my hard drive icon it always opens in a
Finder window in "icon" view. I click on the little tool that changes
it to "list" view. I close the window. If I click on it again during
the same user session it opens back up in list view, just as I would it
expect it to.

However, if I shut down, restart, or log out, and then start up or log
back in, and double-click on the hard drive icon, it once again opens
up in icon view. Isn't it supposed to "remember" it's view mode between
log ins or restarts? Is there some preference setting I'm missing that
will force it to do so?

Dan